Friday, March 15, 2013

2013 Worlds - Pairs Free Skate


Never a dull moment in the pairs competition! The highlight of the early groups for me were the American pairs. Castelli/Shnapir had a great skate, and Scimeca/Knieram skated amazingly for being such a new team! I'm so excited for the potential of both of these teams.

I thought Moore-Towers/Moscovitch had the best performance of the night. They were absolutely in the zone and just flying around the rink. Pang/Tong's program was stunning and I'll miss their grace when they retire. Duhamel/Radford definitely looked nervous and were noticeabley slower to me than M-T/M. They still skated great, though, and gutted out all the elements. I love those SBS triple lutzes!

Savchenko/Szolkowy didn't have their best skate, but their skills can't be denied. I'm still in awe at their gutsy move of doing the throw triple Axel in the last seconds of the program. That was amazing. I thought it was pretty crappy of the crowd to boo Savchenko/Szolkowy's score because it was higher than Duhamel/Radford's. The Germans didn't deserve such a lack of respect. It's one thing to boo a score that you think is too low, but booing a skater's score that you think is too high? Not cool. Volosozhar/Trankov finally put it all together, and their jumps and throws were divine. Not a big fan of their program overall, but they're looking pretty darn strong for gold in Sochi.

Here are my photos from the event!

No comments:

Post a Comment